~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Jul 27, 2013

Signing with your baby...

I will never forget the day that I was standing in the doctor's office and Doctor T said, "I'm sorry but your child is profoundly deaf. Hearing aids will make no difference. He is also not a candidate for cochlear implants. He will have to use sign language to communicate". My heart hit the floor. How could that be? Hadn't our baby been through enough? How will I be able to communicate with my baby? How will I be able to learn a whole new language? How will I ever learn to sign every word in the dictionary? It was overwhelming.

But, I done what every other mother that loves their child does. I made it my mission. This was my child and he depended on me. So I surfed the net. Asked lots of questions. Learned as much as I could and discovered a whole new world that I never knew was out there. I still have a long ways to go. We are just taking it "One Day At A Time". Slowly we are getting this. Our baby is learning. We are learning. We won't give up. Our baby is worth it!

These are a few things we've found very helpful in learning to communicate with our hearing impaired baby.

The signing times DVDs
have been the #1 must have on our list.
They have taught our family so much.
We are the very proud owners
of all three sets now.

Baby Signing Times
Signing Time Series 1 and 2.




Our baby has really enjoyed
 these flash cards.

A great book for learning ASL.


These next two books were highly recommended
by GA PINES and our sign language teacher.





Websites

Websites For Signing With The Young
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~









Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him,and he will direct thy paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...