~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Jan 13, 2012

What a Legacy...

A couple of days ago I got a phone call from my biological aunt. My dad's sister. As I've wrote many times on my other blog, I barely know my dad & his family. I met my dad for the first time (that I can remember) at age 13. I met some of his siblings for the very first time at my brother Robby's memorial service in 2005. Since then my aunt & I have spoken only a hand full of times. So when her name came up on my caller ID ,I didn't recognize it right away. She left me a message and I called her back. It was so odd ,because she was calling me to see if I could look up something for her on my computer. I don't know why she thought of me, but I was more than happy to do that for her. I'm glad I did. She wanted me to look up my grandmother's obituary. I had no idea that they had obituaries way back then and that you can find them online. Anyhow, I looked it up and made her several copies and mailed them to her.
I never got to know any of my grandparents on my Dad's side ,because they all passed away young. But, this obituary taught me all I ever needed to know about my grandmother. I loved it! What a legacy to leave behind. Oh how I wish I could have known her. I bet we would have been like paper & glue or peanut butter & jelly:)

Meet My Great Grandmother...
IN MEMORY OF MRS. V
Mrs. Erma V, 31, died Sept. 28, 1935 at a Bremen, Ga. hospital following a brief illness. She leaves to mourn her untimely passing, her faithful companion Vergil  and their six children, Cecil, Ruth, Margaret, Opal, Harold and Dorthy; also surviving are her parents Mr. and Mrs. Albert Huey and her sisters, Mrs. Lizzie Whitehead, Mrs. Annie Raburn, Mrs. Ada Moore, Mrs. Burnice Robinson, Miss Ethel Huey; also three brothers, Raymond, Buford ,and Dorsea Husey. The writer was glad and happy to call Erma "friend" in the deepest and truest meaning of the word. Since 10 years of age she has been a faithful member of the Sandy Flat Baptist church where funeral and burial services were held. It might be truly said of Erma that she literally adopted Romans 12:1 as her life's creed, for no sacrifice was too great for her to make on behalf of her family of friends or in the interest and well being of her community. Quietly, unassuming, courageously, she met the various difficulties of life unafraid, unflinching and faced the Grim Reaper at last. Peace to her soul; peace to her memory. Written by one who loved her, Mrs. B. Freeman.


Romans 12:1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...