~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Jun 22, 2009

I am A Mom


I Am A Mom
I am often asked, "What kind of work do you do?"
I am a mom, a very important job though not impressive to you.
The ladder I climb is not the corporate kind
But one with children following behind.
Smiles, hugs and kisses are my pay
I wouldn't have it any other way.
I cook, I clean, I fold and dry
I drive here and there with no more than a sigh.
I wash faces and hands that are a sight
I'm always ready to referee a fight.
I dry tears and kiss away hurt
Hugging them close and brushing off dirt.
I listen and laugh as my little one learns to talk
I hold out my arms to catch the one learning to walk.
I practice ABC's and counting to ten
Draw pictures and color them.
I trip over toys left on the floor
Clean crayon pictures off the door.
I read favorite stories at bedtime
And tuck bodies in as the clock begins to chime.
All that I do is done with love
Caring for these gifts I was given from above.
To you the job I do may seem small
But to me, "mom" is the most important job of all.

By Cheryl Coursen


13 comments:

  1. That is beautiful... I hadn't seen that one before...personally I like this one too--


    Excuse This House
    Author: Unknown

    Some houses try to hide the fact
    That children shelter there,
    Ours boasts it quite openly,
    The signs are everywhere.

    For smears are on the windows,
    Little smudges are on the doors
    I should apologize, I guess
    For toys strew on the floor.

    But I sat down with my child
    And we played and laughed and read
    And if the doorbell doesn’t shine,
    His eyes will shine instead.

    For when at times I’m forced to choose
    The one job or the other,
    I’d like to cook and clean and scrub,
    But first I’ll be a mother.

    My mom had a print of that hanging up as we were growing up. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Loved it!! I had never heard this poem before. I loved the last line it is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from SITS to say hello! That was a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a beautiful poem...I don't think I have heard it before either! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I may have to copy it off and put it on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful! I can't wait until I'm a mom! I hope when I get that chance I'll be able to be home with them but I may have to do the "less wanted" to some moms and work too :(

    I'm loving your blog! So sweet and honest! I'm so glad I found you through SITS! I look forward to getting more mommy advice from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a little something for you girl! Drop by when you have some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy,
    This is so true! I also believe it is the most important job of all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to confess that I love this poem very much - well describe and done for the great tasks mother is doing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...