~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Feb 22, 2024

Homeschooling Blaze Update...

Wow! Just wow! So much has changed since I homeschooled my older kids. I am blown away with what all is available now for homeschooling families. It is soooo much different and definitely  easier. I never thought I would say that but it's the truth. Homeschooling moms these days have so many more options and HELP than I had way back when. 

Blaze and I have been homeschooling now for a little over 2 weeks and he is doing so amazing! I'm not sure who has learned the most...him or me. If I knew back then (when Blaze started school) what I know now I would have never put him in a public school classroom. I just never thought that I would be able to teach him but here I am and we are rocking it! Blaze is a very unique kid and we haven't found the perfect fitting school for him or at least not one that we can afford. Blaze's IEP eligibility in Deaf-Blind and significant delays. When I say deaf-blind most people think that Blaze can't hear or see like Helen Keller. That's not the case. I will share a link to better explain how he qualified as deaf-blind here in our state. Blaze is profoundly deaf meaning he has no hearing at all. However, he can see but not great. Blaze also has many other things that make learning a challenge. Blaze is autistic(lower functioning), ADHD (non medicated due to seizure increase with meds), as well as malformation of the cortical development of the brain, CP , Polymicrogyria, and severe epilepsy (LGS...which majorly impacts his life and school attendance). There is so much more to share about him but I think you get the picture. I knew it would be a challenge but one that I was willing to accept. I was tired of all of the constant school issues and my son not getting the services/ support he needed. Now here we are! He and I are doing just fine. I am enjoying having him home and we are learning together as we go. Blaze has been absolutely amazing and has not given me any issues at all. He is always up and ready to learn. He wants to learn. He amazes me! 
To learn more about deaf-blindness Click here---->Deaf-Blindness Info 


I will share more as we go. I plan to do a post soon on what we are using to teach Blaze as we have not found a curriculum that works for deaf children, We are creating our own and hopefully we will be able to share what we've found and created to help other families on this same journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...