~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Dec 26, 2010

Sweet Treats From The Holidays

This was the year of the sweets. Mom asked me to help her with the deserts . Deserts are my favorite to make so I didn't mind at all. I thought I'd add a few of the recipes from the ones we enjoyed this holiday season. Plus, my plans are to turn my blog into a keepsake book after the holidays and I thought it would be nice having these recipes in it.
An all time favorite in Hubby's family
Chocolate Delight- My Version
Not to be compared with Aunt Vera's:)

1 c. flour
1 stick of butter
1 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans)
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c.brown sugar
1 (9 oz.) container Cool Whip
1 large box of chocolate instant pudding
3 c. milk

CRUST:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. powdered sugar
1 stick melted butter
1 c. finely chopped pecans
CRUST: Mix crust ingredients and spread on cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir several times. Should be crumbly.
First layer - Is the crust layer. Add the crust and press into the bottom of dish.
Second layer - Mix softened cream cheese with powdered sugar. Add one cup of Cool Whip; beat and spread over first layer.
Third layer - Mix chocolate instant pudding and milk. Spread over second layer when thick.
Fourth layer - Spread remainder of Cool Whip and refrigerate. You can top with pecans if you would like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Dad's favorite desert of all
Strawberry Whip Delight
This is the most simple recipe of all recipes.

1 large container of cool whip
1/2 cup of chopped nuts (we use pecans)
1 can of crushed pineapple
1 can of condensed milk
1 can of strawberry pie filling
(You could use cherry or blueberry)
Stir all ingredients in large bowl and chill in fridge over night.
I usually sprinkle a few nuts on top just to let everyone know it has nuts.
*You can leave out the pineapple and nuts and still have a delicious desert* I make it both ways because my son-in-law doesn't like nuts or pineapple.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my childhood favorites
that Mom always makes.
Cornflake Christmas Wreaths
36 lg. marshmallows

1/3 c. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. green food coloring
3 1/2 c. cornflakes
1 pkg. candy red hots (cinnamon)
Over medium heat, melt marshmallows and butter together. Stir in vanilla and food coloring. Fold in cornflakes and mix well. Form in the shape of a wreath. Place red hots on wreath to decorate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Nanny's Special and another
of my childhood favorites.
Potato Candy
1/2 cup Mashed potatoes (About 1 medium potato mashed up)
Powered sugar
Peanut butter
In a bowl combine 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and powder sugar until it is firm enough to roll. The mixture will become very wet; just keep adding powdered sugar as needed. Spread mixture out on waxed paper. Cover with peanut butter and then roll it like a jelly roll. Then cut into small pieces.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Hubby's Favorite
Pecan Pie
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups light corn syrup
3 eggs
2 tablespoons of butter melted
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 or 2 cups of pecans

Mix together the sugar, light corn syrup, eggs, cornstarch, butter, vanilla, and the salt in a large bowl. Then add the pecans! Pour into an unbaked pie shell.
Heat oven to 350°F and bake pie for 45 minutes or until it sets in the middle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My brother Bryan's favorite desert
Sweet Potato Souffle
3 c. sweet potatoes( mashed)
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c. sweet milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients together. Pour into greased baking dish.

TOPPING:
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1 c. nuts, chopped
1/3 stick butter, melted
Mix thoroughly and sprinkle over souffle. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
*Or you can use marshmallows as your topping instead*.
I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love chocolate delight and sweet potato souffle! Thanks for the yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...