~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Aug 9, 2010

Unfamiliar Grounds

Today,I woke up early and had my sweet foster baby on my mind. I thought about her at 4 AM and just couldn't seem to think on anything else...not even going back to sleep, as much as I had planned to sleep in until 6AM. I couldn't help but reflect on where God has brought us so far with her. I thought of how scared I was of her in the beginning,but of how God helped me through my fears, so that I could be the foster mom this special little girl needed me to be.
I remembered when we first met her that no one could tell us for sure that she would ever be able to be like other babies or "normal" as they put it. I remember standing in the NICU with two of her many therapists and them telling me how hard they had worked with her ,but that nothing had really made a difference that they had done. I remember after meeting her,that I came home and went through some sleepless nights. I was scared of the unfamiliar world of the NICU and special needs. I told my hubby that I was scared and that I wasn't so sure that I was capable of taking care of a "medically fragile" baby, as she was also labeled. My mind said,"This may be to much for you to take on" and "What if something goes wrong?",but my heart said,"Don't walk away from something you've been asked to do".  I remember standing in tears and asking our church family to pray for us, as we stepped out on unfamiliar grounds.
I believe the feelings I felt that day were probably very similar to the feelings Peter felt when Jesus asked him to step out of the boat on water. Peter must have thought, Lord. you are asking me to do something I don't know how to do. Peter's heart must have been racing and his knees probably shaking as he slowly stepped out of that boat that day.
Then I thought of little David and how he stood and faced a giant. He must have felt so small and inadequate,but God looked at him as useful and able. David must have thought and questioned God. I can imagine him asking,"Lord are you sure I can do this?". After all, David was only a boy.
You will find many examples in the Bible of how God took ordinary people through unfamiliar places to do unfamiliar things, and through their obedience, He done some great things. However, He didn't stop there, back in those Bible days (as my little boy calls it),he still does that today. He is still just as real as He was then and He is still seeking those who are willing to step out on unfamiliar grounds to do his work (what He asks of us). Sometimes, the unfamiliar and uncomfortable are not pleasant places to find yourself in. Too often we get caught up in our own comfort and happiness and this hinders God's work in our lives. In order for God to be able to use us, mold us, grow us, and to mature us, we must  first be willing to step out of the boat. We must be willing to put "self" aside...after all it's not about us.
God needs people who are willing to make a difference. He needs people who are willing to get up off the pews. He needs people who are willing to share what they have ,even though it may seem so little and inadequate (Remember how Jesus fed the multitude?). He needs people who are more concerned with God's work than their own comfort & happiness (Remember Jonah?). He needs people who are willing to give up their own time and to do as asked (Remember Noah?). He needs people who are willing to go the extra mile ,even when they're weak and worn (Remember Job?). He needs people who will step out of their comfort zone into to the unknown of unfamiliar grounds.
Are you willing? The world is full of spectators ,but not nearly enough of "God's will" participators. Are  you willing to step out of the boat today? Is God trying to use you ,but you are letting "self" get in the way? If God can use someone like me, then He can use anyone. He can use you too!

4 comments:

  1. As I told my kids recently...I am trying to do the right thing if it kills me...sometimes the right thing is the painful thing and we must remember GOD will give us "all" we need to do it.
    Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many Christians get caught in the trap of the 'comfort zone' - and I'm not exempt. Unfamiliar ground is a difficult thing, as you wrote - but there is also a lot of blessing in it if we learn to have faith and depend on Him.
    Thank you for sharing, Sandy - what you wrote spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,

    I am reading a book on exactly that very subject called True Religion. It's really got my entire family thinking we need to do more.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...