~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Apr 9, 2010

Preach Your Own Funeral

Yesterday, a dear church member & friend was laid to rest. He went to be with the Lord on Monday after an extended illness. I among a full church of people went to pay our last respect to a very "GOOD GODLY MAN".
Three preachers stood to share the message & to share about the life of this man. They talked about his kindness, his devotion to the church, his love for his family, how he was as a friend, as well as so much more about this man and what he meant to their lives.
The thing that stood out about this is how he really had already preached his own funeral by the way he lived his life.
It got me to thinking. How do I live my life? If the Lord doesn't come back first, then I know there will come a time when I too will face death. I will make the same crossing that Lonnie & many more have made before me.
But, what will I leave behind?
Will I be remembered as the Lady that loved God? Is that evident enough in my life that it will stick out in some one's memory?
Will I be remembered as the one that loved everybody? Did I feed someone along the way that was hungry? Did I offer shelter to someone in need? Did I clothe someone? Did I have a desire to see all souls saved? Was I a true friend to all my friends? Was I a good wife to my husband? Was I a good mother to my children? Was I a faithful servant? Was I a faithful church member? Did I stand for what I believed in? Was I a good daughter? Was I a good daughter-in-law? Was I always honest & reliable? Was I trust worthy? Did I make a difference to someone somewhere? But above these, was I the one that told someone about Jesus and because of me they sought Jesus and they were saved?
Or will I be remembered as the town trouble maker? The church gossip? The family drama queen? The mean lady thar lived down the street? The rude one in the bunch? The one that always complained about everything? The one that hurt someone's feelings? The one that always lied to and about others? The neighbor out to get you? Will I be the one the world would probably seem better off without?
These are the things we should all think about. All that really matters is how we live our lives for God. But, it could be because of our actions that someone dies lost.

It's something to think about.
How do you live your life? If you are reading this then you are probably still alive and that means you still have time to preach your own funeral. Be the difference you want to see in the world.

4 comments:

  1. Thought provoking! I pray my life is one that reflects our LORD. Too often, I am afraid I stumble and make a mess of things.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I agree with Andrea. I pray my life reflects my Lord too.

    Thank you for sharing with us.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,

    What a great insight to take a look at our lives now instead of when it's too late to make those necessary changes.

    Make sure you stop by my blog for a chance to enter in both book giveaways as one ends tomorrow.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...