~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Mar 16, 2010

Are you a Evergreen Christian?

Last Sunday at church our Pastor preached a message on being an evergreen Christian.
He talked about the evergreen tree and how its foliage withstands the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter. It can even withstand a forest fire and come back stronger and more beautiful than before, because it's been through the fire. An evergreen is tall and strong and planted firmly. It prefers to surround itself with other evergreens and often is found growing close together. It doesn't easily break , but it bends when it should.
This got me to thinking about my life.
Am I an evergreen Christian?
When people see me on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and so on,
am I the same as they saw me on Sunday morning?
1.Do I stand firm in the Lord regardless of what comes? When I face storms do I accept them as part of God's plan for my life and use them to make me stronger & better?
2.Do I talk like a Christian? Does the words that come out of my mouth bring glory to God? or shame? Do I think before I speak and use my words wisely?(If it builds up it's of God. If it tears down it's not of God.)
3.Do you find me in places that I should or shouldn't be found?
4.Do I surround myself with other Christians? Do I choose my company wisely? Do I fail to go to church?
5.Do I look/dress in a manner that would be pleasing in the sight of the Lord?
6. Do I act like a Christian lady in front of my friends? family? Complete strangers?
Even on the phone????
7. Does my life say,"She's a Christian" without my mouth saying a word?

8.Do I even consider what goes in my ears? Do I listen to gossip? Do I listen to vulgar talk? Do I listen to music that would bring shame to the Lord?
It makes me think of the song my children use to sing in Sunday school...
O be careful little eyes what you see

O be careful little eyes what you see
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little eyes what you see

O be careful little ears what you hear
O be careful little ears what you hear
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little ears what you hear

O be careful little hands what you do
O be careful little hands what you do
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little hands what you do

O be careful little feet where you go
O be careful little feet where you go
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little feet where you go

O be careful little mouth what you say
O be careful little mouth what you say
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little mouth what you say

Now let me ask you.
Are you an evergreen Christian?

Jeremiah 17:8
For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Words to ponder today and this week! I love that song too. Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    Another brilliant post. I know within your questions are areas which continue to challenge me and I can honestly say I am not all of those things all of the times, even though I wish I was. Thanks for challenging me to become a better person in Christ!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the analogy of the Evergreen tree here! I think it was Paul who said I buffet myself daily! Our walk is a daily event, not a once a week event with our church family...thank you so much for sharing this. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed to have such an insightful preacher. Wow. What wonderful words. It is challenging to be a good christian all the time. Those uplifting challenges to stay strong are good to hear and remind me to try to be even better to please Him.
    Lovely post my friend. You put a smile on my morning! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...