~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Aug 28, 2009

Why Uncle Brent and Aunt sandy???


Someone asked me why we refer to ourselves as Uncle Brent and Aunt Sandy to Bailey, when Bailey is not our niece?
You are right. Actually Bailey is no relation to us at all. She was our sweet foster baby that we had for over a year before she went home. Bailey came to us straight from the hospital at birth. She remained with us for her first year and yes we grew VERY attached to this sweet lil girl...who wouldn't? Well Bailey like most babies said her first baby words while she was living here and yes they were "Da-Da" and "Ma Ma" after all that is what our birth kids call us... So she didn't know anything else.
We did not know until the end that Bailey was going to be returned to her family. So up until then we just treated Bailey and LOVED Bailey like we did our own babies.
But when the day came for her to go home, it was a little confusing for her because now she had 2 moms and 2 dads. Her mom asked us to remain in her life and she asked if we cared if Bailey called us Uncle Brent & Aunt Sandy and of course we were thrilled. We didn't care what she called us. We were just so thankful that we could still see and spend time with this sweet lil girl we had fallen in love with. Well, since then we've been Bailey's "un-ka Bent" and "Aunt Sanee" as she calls us.
We've also referred to ourselves with our last fosters (Trinton, Amberly and their lil brother Devon) as Aunt Sandy and Uncle Brent too. They too are still in our lives and actually we get them a couple of days a week because their family moved 4 minutes from us...so it's close.
We usually get Bailey about every other weekend and sometimes during the week or on special occasions too,because she lives about 20 minutes away,so not to far.
I love how things have worked out in our last foster placements and I love that our birth parents have become like family to us. It's been amazing and truly a blessing! Fostering took on a different meaning after Bailey's birth and our lives have forever changed thanks to one very special little girl...Bailey Alyssa.

10 comments:

  1. I think that's precious! You are so blessed to be able to have the relationships that you have with those sweet children. I am sure God is using you in their lives as well as their parents', too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am touched by how gracious our Heavenly Father has been to allow all these things to fall into place so beautifully. HE knew it all along. HE IS AWESOME and so are you guys. Thank you for being willing vessels and opening your home and hearts to these beautiful children.
    Blessings and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really touching-- WOW!

    Anyway, Sandy, may I invite you to join my food meme FROM MY KITCHEN.. pretty please???

    http://morefoodadventures.blogspot.com/2009/08/from-my-kitchen-3-fiesta-foodies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sweet. When you go through an experience like that, you are family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy,

    This is the great news that all foster parents look forward to is that continuing relationship with Bailey but that she has also been reunited with her parents as well. And they say stories don't have happy endings?!!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind, generous people you are, and it is great that are being rewarded by being able to maintain a relationship with Baily. When (and where) I was growing up, all adults were called Aunt and Uncle. Those were terms of respect, not necessarily of relationship. Seems to me you have earned both meanings of those words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I wanted to invite you to my blog, Happily Domestic. I write about homemaking and all that goes with that. I have 2 giveaways at present and many more to come. I am trying to get the word out as I have a fairly new blog. Here is the link to my current giveaway for a Baby Dipper bowl. :-) Hope you stop by!
    Thanks,
    Beth
    http://happilydomestic.blogspot.com/2009/08/baby-dipper-bowl-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog. i enjoy reading your blog.

    Congratulations on expecting a grandchild. I cannot wait until that season in my life!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Sandy-
    I absolutely adore your blog. Your words are so inspiration, and encouraging for that I have giving you a blog award. Please come to my blog to claim it.

    Your Sister in Christ
    Angie
    www.helpmeettosam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a sweet story -I'm touched!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...