~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Feb 17, 2009

Can my kids watch this movie or not?

One of my longtime blog readers "Maria" sent me an email of a great site that you can go to get more info on the videos and movies that your children watch.
I hope she doesn't mind me adding a portion of the email she sent me...

I’m contacting you to give you a heads up on a great site that you can use to monitor the movies that your children watch, whether on video or at the theater. The site is called http://www.kids-in-mind.com they do a great job at grading movies so that you know exactly what compromising things they might be watching. I use it often so that I may know what will my kids be exposed to during a movie. You can no longer trust movie makers to correctly grade their own movies.

From the website....
(Here is how it works)
“We enable adults to determine whether a movie is appropriate for them or their children, according to their own criteria. Unlike the MPAA we do not assign an inscrutable rating based on age, but 3 objective ratings for SEX/NUDITY, VIOLENCE/GORE & PROFANITY on a scale of 0 to 10. We also explain in detail why a film rates high or low in a specific category, and we include instances of SUBSTANCE USE, a list of DISCUSSION TOPICS that may elicit questions from kids and MESSAGES the film conveys. Again, unlike the MPAA, we do not make age-specific recommendations. Since our system is based on objective standards, not the viewer's age or the artistic merits of a film, we enable adults to determine whether a movie is appropriate for their children according to their own criteria. As we never tire pointing out, we make no judgments about what is good or bad or anything else. We do not "condemn," "critique" or "criticize" movies. And we don't "praise" or "recommend" movies either...”


I visited the site this morning and it is really good!!!!! Thanks Maria!!!

3 comments:

  1. I really like how the new DVDs have an explanation on the back for why they're rated what they're rated. They usually don't say, though, if they have sexual inuendo, which it seems most kids movies do nowadays, at least the PG ones.

    Plugged-in-online has some great reviews of the newer movies.

    We just rented Space Buddies the last week and I thought that movie was very cute! I was suprised at how clean it was- I found no fault with it at all! Really nice movie for kids who like animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are extremely fortunate in our city to have an 'edited' movie store. They go through and take out the language, the sex, the gore, and most of the violence that is not necessary for the plot. It is so nice, especially since you can purchase the edited version from them also. Now we can show Troy or Pearl Harbor for school with the older kids without all the junk. It is so nice - especially since I don't want to see all that crud either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been using this website for several years... I love how it lets me decide. It's great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...