~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Sep 9, 2008

An update on my mom

Hey everyone,
I'm sorry that I can't write each of you personally and thank you for all the thoughts and prayers that have went up for my mom. I can't even begin to thank you all enough.
God bless everyone of you (((hugs))) Sandy

Today they done the procedure on her leg. The clot was not a blood clot , it was a plaque clot. It was located above her knee. This was caused by the procedure that was done two weeks ago. The plaque they broke up when they done the balloon procedure had all moved into this one area and stuck together and caused a 100% blockage in her leg. This is why she was in so much pain. They were able to remove the clot and they put in two stints(I guess that's how you spell it)... this should stop the pain she had in her upper leg. She still only has a 30% blood flow but that is much better than none.
However, once he got in there he found more problems, that he had not seen before . He found both arteries going into that foot are 100% blocked and he said that there is really nothing he can do for her foot. He said mom's arteries are just to diseased. He said at some point he will have to do a bypass on that leg. Which he is hoping he will be able to use one of her vessel, if they are not to diseaed and create her a new artery. But, at this point he said it would be to risky to do it. He said he just wanted to wait and see how well she recovers from this.

While I had a chance I asked him about my mom's other leg, which was the one that he had labeled as the worst. He said the blockage in that leg was from the top of her leg and all the way down to her knee. He said he can not do anything except a bypass on that leg. The bad part is that they had already used the vessel out of that leg when she had heart surgery. So he will have to use plastic to create her an artery and he said once he did that she would have to keep coming back having it redone over and over because it is only a temporary fix, unlike a vessel...plastic doesn't last. So he wants to wait until Mom feels she can't go any further and then he will have no choice, but to do the surgery. I asked him does he think my mom will loose her feet or legs and he basically said she is at high risk, but we are not at that point yet ,and that he will do everything he can for her, and we will cross each bridge as we get to it. However, he said foot care is the most important thing because without blood flow wounds do not heal and especially in a diabetic.The surgery took alot longer than we thought, so I only got to see her for a couple of minutes . She was just waking up in recovery and they were about to move her to the icu. She will be there for a few days.
Just continue to keep her in your prayers. I'll do my best to keep you all posted. Thank you all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...