~As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Mar 29, 2015

My Big Preschool Boy....

 
Blaze started 3 year old preschool this week. I would love to be able to tell you how much he loved it and how excited he was this week, but honestly that hasn't been the case. He has had a really hard time.
 
With a typical child it is pretty easy to prepare them for a bus ride and school. However, with Blaze because he can't hear and his understanding is so very limited it has been very hard for us to prepare him. I did the best that I could. I showed him pictures and we watched videos, etc, but I don't really think he made the connection. On day one, he was excited and interested in the big yellow thing (bus) with wheels on it, but he didn't understand that I would not be coming along for the ride. Instead, I sent him off alone with complete strangers and he looked and acted so scared. When you have a child that can't hear at all, has vision problems, is just learning to walk, is just learning to eat,  is just learning to communicate the very basic needs, plus has medical issues, it is so much harder sending them off to school and to top it off I have to send him so far away, because no one here is qualified enough to teach him.  Then when he does come home, he can't tell me anything that happened that day at all or if he is feeling happy or sad or even scared. I can only read his behavior and expressions. I just hope it gets easier and better with time. It has been so hard. I've questioned myself over and over these last few weeks if I am doing the right thing. I personally don't think 3 year olds need to go to school, but with Blaze I feel he needs it for all of the extra services that they can provide and for him to be fully submerged in his own language (ASL). These are the only reasons I am sending him to school this young.
 
I will say our county went above and beyond anything I ever imagined. They gave Blaze his very own bus which means his bus ride won't be nearly as long now because they won't be stopping for other kids. They gave him the sweetest bus driver ever and she is working hard to make him as comfortable as possible during the long ride. They also gave him his own monitor to ride beside him every day and she is also a nurse so that made me feel much better. I couldn't be more pleased than I am with the bus service. I felt bad for getting so aggravated with all of the delays that our county has caused, but now I understand why. It was a process for them. They wanted to make it as safe and as comfortable as possible for Blaze and they did.
 
Now if you wonder how I feel about the school, the teachers, their program, etc, I am not sure how I feel just yet. I've got to give it a little more time. Hopefully this coming week things will run smoother and will get much better. His GSAP lady and I will be making a trip to the school sometime over the next few days to set in on the classroom to be sure the recommended adjustments have been made for Blaze.
 Please just pray for my little boy and throw in a few extras for his dad and I...we sure do need it.
 

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him,and he will direct thy paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog today! Stop by and visit again soon.((hugs)) ~Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...